Dittmar, John F. (b. 1861, d. 1911)


John Dittmar, a blacksmith by trade, built the Dittmar-Robertson building in 1897 and established himself in the hardware business. Located at 1477 Underwood Avenue the building in the oldest extant structure at the five-point intersection, which is the center of Wauwatosa historic business district. The building continues to function as a hardware store and its original hand operated wooden freight elevator is still in use, one of the last such elevators in the state. The Dittmar-Robertson building has been designated a Wauwatosa landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.