Gilbert, Richard and Nancy (d. 1879, 1880)


Arriving in Wauwatosa in 1840, the Gilberts built a log house measuring seventeen by twenty feet. The First Congregational Church of Wauwatosa was organized in their home. Richard Gilbert served the church as deacon for the next thirty-five years. During the Civil War, the Gilberts home was used as part of the Underground Railroad.